Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Amazing Hummingbirds

Hi how are you? I hope good. I was hoping things would calm down after the baby shower, but I have a lot of family birthday's now. Morgan's, Kirsten's and Steve's, DIL's and Kirsten's step son Brandon. That's to many all at once.


I made another amineko cat, I made a few mistakes, but it's still cute. This one is for Morgan, I named it Meika.

It was Morgan's birthday this past Saturday, it's hard to believe she is 13 years old! She was in Southern CA, so I was not able to visit her on her birthday. I am going to take her tomorrow shopping and to the Cheesecake Factory.
Above she is with my mom and Kirsten at Kirsten's baby shower and below she is with me in Carmel CA in 2003. She sure has changed a lot, her hair is so different now, but very pretty. She has the thickest hair I have ever seen. Of course I was a lot younger then to.
I love taking photos of birds and the past few weeks I have been trying to photograph close ups of the birds, I have taken quite a few good photos of the ones that visit my backyard for feeding. You will have to pop the photo open big to see them close up, I put them altogether in one large collage. Hummingbirds are just so amazing. I love watching them.

Here is a recipe for Hummingbird Nectar Solution.

Four parts of water to one part sugar (1/4 cup of sugar for every cup of water). 
Bring solution to a boil, stir until sugar is dissolved. Let it cool & fill feeders.

Don't use molasses, honey or artificial sugars. There is no need to add red food coloring.

Change feeder solution every three to four days to avoid mold.

I took a little video of frolicking hummingbirds. 
  


Have a great week!


7 comments:

  1. They grow so fast...how beautiful she is coming along to be. :) the photo where you are hugging her is precious!! Hugs back.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to beautiful Morgan! I hope she had a great day. :) I hope you two have fun at the cheesecake factory.
    Katie turned 13 in February. It's amazing how fast they grow up!!
    Love your little hummingbird video. We have a feeder too, and I love to watch them. God's creation is so awesome. :)
    Thanks for stopping by today. Yes, I've enjoyed catching up on Facebook, and seeing friends I haven't seen for years! I must say that I enjoy blogging better though.
    We've been having fun with VBS this week. I've pet an alligator and held a chinchilla. We still have two nights to go. Yes, I do stay busy, but I have a lot of fun too. Take care.♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat! Good advice about the hummingbird food. The red food coloring is bad for them. It is a pain to change the food so often but you don't want to poison them and the food goes bad quicly in the heat.

    Yes, we took Ryan to the Monterey Bay Aquarium on our last trip. We always take a walk or dirve along the shore by the Victorian Bed and Breakfast Inns, etc... We usually have a dinner in Monterey if we're there enough nights. We eat at The Sardine Factory in their special glass atrium room. It's fancy but a little too old-school for my taste. Did you know that if you eat at Roy's on the 17 mile drive, they will take you admission fee off your check? That's a little trick we always use. :) Happy Birthday to all! (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do remember this being a busy time for you with all of the birthday's. I hope you and Morgan have fun shopping and eating. YUM!! Josh's birthday is Wednesday Aug 4th.
    I lo ve your hummingbird video!! They are so small and cute. I just adore them. I do not have my feeders out this year.
    Have a nice weekend. (((BIG HUGS)))!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kat,
    I hope you had a good time at the cheesecake factory with Morgan. Yes, it is hard to believe that they grow so fast. I remember coming to your blog when Morgan was about 7-8 years old-she is a beautiful young lady. Cute pic. of you and Morgan in 2003.
    Good job with capturing the little hummingbirds. I love hummingbirds. At one time I had feeders all around my yard. I miss doing that.
    Have a great day.
    BTW-I love the White and Cream Pearl Wire Work Twisted Vine Necklace that you posted at Etsy.
    Hugs.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kat,
    I love hummingbirds! I love to watch them too, they are so beautiful. We have a feeder, but haven't filled it yet this summer. Thanks for the recipe for hummingbird nector. We need to fill up our feeder.

    Happy Birthday (belated) to Morgan!! She is growing into a lovely young lady. I love The Cheesecake Factory too! ☺

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Kat! LOvely post! I also have a hummingbird feeder on the window of my living room on the 4th floor. I love their visiting there! I love your video! They made a nest below the air conditioning and since then 4 families their babies.

    Hugs

    sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails