Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Stories-The Old Lady in the Hot Pink Pants

It was a rainy day in early December when my husband and I decided to go Christmas shopping. We had just paid off a bill and and I thought we should treat ourselves to a special gift for Christmas and for sticking to our budget and getting another bill paid off before moving on to the last bill, so a bit of celebration was in order. We decided to get Steve a new  Blue Ray Home Theater System to replace his 10 year old system. And for our house we decided to get a granite sink and stainless steel faucet since we had been working so hard in the kitchen this year to upgrade it and take down that ugly tacky wall-border. This would be the finishing touch and a cherry on top and to finally remove after 7 years the ugly white porcelain sink that didn't match or granite at all with white faucet in our kitchen.

It was Wednesday and I asked my husband if he would like to go out for breakfast before going shopping, he said yes he would love that. So we decided on Mimi's Cafe. We had a nice breakfast there and lots of hot delicious coffee. I was in the mood for sharing old memories of my teenage years about how busy I was working and being happy in the youth group at the Orangevale Assembly of God Church singing in the choir and traveling and singing in many other Assembly of God Church's back in the late 70's. How I baby-sat a little boy with a glass eye that had to be taken out each night before he went to bed and how this grossed me out at first, but eventually as long as I didn't have to touch it it was fine with me. How I read him stories before bed with his eye out. It was interesting. I also went on about how I worked as a waitress for my friend Annette's mom's restaurant on the weekends and I told Steve how later I wanted to work so bad that I asked my mom to take me to a Restaurant that had a add in the paper that was hiring for an interview. I didn't get that job because I was to young, but it was my first interview. I would also go on a two week adventure back backing in the Sierra Mountains for summer school credit through a science class so I could graduate early and get on with my life.  This was an amazing trip! we would walk through the high Sierra mountains every day cooking and sleeping in our little pup tents, learning how to survive in nature. The water was freezing and it was July and there was still snow on the ground. We had to do everything out doors and I mean everything, except sleeping in our tiny pup tents. I am extremely afraid of bears and luckily we never seen not one.  

After breakfast Steve and I went to the post office so I could send a package to a jewelry customer of mine. It already had the label on it and so we just had to drop it and go, thus avoiding the long Christmas lines at the post office.

On the way to the post office I seen an old lady that was very tall and slender, it was raining outside and she was wearing a bright red long style rain coat and hot pink pants and carrying an old pocket book that looked to be an evening bag from the 1950's. She had on a bright red cap that looked knitted on her head and she was wearing make-up and looked physically very healthy. I would say she was at least 80 years old, if not older. The umbrella she was holding over her head was completely useless, the nylon fabric was completely falling off the frame of the umbrella, but she was proudly carrying the umbrella as if it was working perfectly.

I told my husband Steve it would nice if we bought her a new umbrella. After we left the post office we set off to find the old lady in the hot pink pants, last we seen her she was headed in the direction of the grocery store. We thought about how we might give her an umbrella. I told Steve she might be quite proud and will not except this umbrella from us once we purchase it, so we discussed how we might approach her once we found her. But our thoughts would not match up to the way it went down once we did find her.

First we decided to get the umbrella so we went into a CVS Pharmacy, I think that is the name of this Pharmacy and we found a bright red umbrella to match her coat. We purchased it and now we had to find her, we looked everywhere in the shopping center, as I told Steve I felt like we were casing the joint.
The little old lady in the hot pink pants was no where to be found. I told Steve lets go..... I know God will show me her again, he always brings people back to me that he wants me to help. "So if it is God's will for us to help her, I will see her again someday" I said.
Then I reminded him of another time I was to help a disabled vet man that was mentally challenged and how God told me to invite him to Thanksgiving dinner while I was in the grocery store and how I told God no that's just silly, then days later he showed up at our church service for the very first time, and I went over to introduce myself to him and asked him for his phone number and told him he was invited to Thanksgiving day dinner at our house. He did come to dinner and I will never know why God wanted me to do this, but I know that he did and I did eventually obey him and perhaps this was to proof to this man that God really does exist. He spent Thanksgiving with my family that year I think it was 2004.

So I put the umbrella down in our SUV and off we went onto the HWY to begin our great shopping adventure of which I was really excited that I had finally talked Steve into allowing us to get him this Christmas gift of the Home Theater System. Steve loves to give gifts, but he does not like to get them it seems.    
All of sudden there walking along the HWY on a dangerous part of the road on a wintery December day was the old lady in the hot pink pants. I told Steve "there she is!", I said,
"where," he said, I said "there" and he once again said "where", he said it again and I again pointing in the direction of her each time I said there, finally he seen her. In order for us to get to her we would have to turn at the light and make a left u-turn. We waited and waited at the light for it to turn green for us to go and finally it did, but not until she got all the way down the block. Steve drove up where he thought she might walk, but once again she eluded us and had turned down onto a small street leading towards the grocery store parking lot. Steve stopped the SUV and I jumped out and ran towards the old woman in the hot pink pants, I had no idea what I was going to say, but she was getting away from me so I had to hurry to catch up to her, finally I yelled out, "hello ma'am!" she quickly turned around and in a sharp tone, said "What do you want"!, of which I can understand her tone with me that she might have been frightened by a stranger running up behind her yelling out ma'am! ma'am!
So I said to her "I noticed your umbrella ma'am is falling apart, so I would like to give you this one" as I held out the bright red umbrella all shiny and new. She said "oh no, these people in this neighborhood make you pay a tip for that." I knew at this moment she was not quite right, so what to say next was running through my head. I said, "oh no that is not going to happen ma'am, this is a gift for you and you do not have to pay for it at all and it's red like your coat."
She said once again "no you don't know these people in this neighborhood they will make you pay a tip".
I said "ma'am this is a gift from God, he wants you to have the umbrella."  Then she was really mad at me I could see by her reaction and frustration in her body movements and eyes that I was pestering her on her nice little walk in the rain. She said to me very sharply "I think you should save the money for yourself and go get the roots on your head bleached they are starting to show through!" and then she quickly turned and walked away into the rain. I stood there for a second, kind of embarrassed because I knew people could see this going on, but then I started to laugh knowing that God wanted me to do this and he knows I am relentless and so I put the umbrella back in the SUV and told Steve what she said and we laughed and laughed all the way to the store for our Christmas shopping adventure.

I know God will lead me back to the little old lady in the hot pink pants. I know about where she lives, our town is rather small and I know I can find out who she is and bring the umbrella to her old little house and put it on the porch or I can try approaching her again. However it happens I know that God is in control of all things and even though she didn't except God's gift today, perhaps tomorrow she will.         

Please note I am not a professional writer and I know many will critique my writing skills, English and punctuation, and that's okay. I personally am a believer in working with what you got, so I do and did. I only say this because I have been criticized before by those much smarter then I in English and writing. I have a desire to write, but I have not yet pursued to perfect this great skill, so until I do please be patient with me, God is not finished with me yet.

I hope you enjoyed the story? it is completely all true and when I find the little old lady in the hot pink pants I hope this story will have a happy ending and she might receive the gift of the umbrella that God wanted me to give and be dry on her next walk in the rain.

Here is a photo I took the day before yesterday around the corner from my house with a little bit of snow on the top of the Sierra Mountains after our wonderful cold freezing weather we had a few weeks ago. I was thinking I should have taken this photo last week when you could see the snow at a much higher elevation it was picture perfect.

Would you like to enter my free give-a-way??? See the previous post it's free and painless!

        

6 comments:

  1. What a funny story! I'm sure that's not the reaction you were expecting! You'll have to let us know if you meet up with her again.
    I would enter your giveaway, but I'm not on facebook.
    Hope you're having a great week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story! Good for you following your heart and instincts. Your a lovely lady!
    Thanks for letting me know about your giveaway, I don't have a facebook page. :-( Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat! What a great story! I will be joining your giveaway when I get back on FB. Have a wonderful day and weekend!
    Hugs and blessings,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kat,
    I really enjoyed the story. I hope you find the lady in the hot pink pants again! The story is 'to be continued' lol. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a long post! But for now only a quick HELLO :) from the library! Our net hiccups are driving me crazy. Hope to be back online soon and be able to catch up with all your news. Have a lovely week, Kat! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kat,
    What a great story! Thank you for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails