Monday, November 29, 2010

Turkey Leftovers

Steve cooked two turkey's in our new indoor electric turkey fryer by Masterbuilt. Here is what it looks like, click here. We did not pay that much for ours not even close. We cooked it in Peanut oil and the turkey was the moistest turkey we've ever had and it cooked in 45 minutes!
I didn't take any photos on Thanksgiving and Kirsten wanted to know why? Wow are you kidding me! I was so busy cooking and cleaning. With the new additions to our family I am thinking it's time to pass the torch. Having one granddaughter is easy, but having two extra kids during the holidays is a lot and it's not gradual when one day you are a rather small family and the next your daughter is dating a man with 2 kids.
The more Steve and I try to fit everyone for the holidays the more problems arise. Before we had all the food on the small old table in our kitchen dining area and put the fold out tables in the great room and we would all eat in there, now we had the reverse going on, everyone sat at the new big table and we had the food in the great room and we cannot fit everyone at the new table either so three have to sit in the great room anyway which they are alienated from the rest of us.
It would be nice to be able to have a huge dining room or large family room, but this house is plenty large enough for Steve and I at around 1700 square feet. 3 bedrooms all large rooms except one and the great room and large kitchen and a nice laundry room inside the house not like our old house that had the laundry room in the garage. We also have a super large 3 car garage. My husband and father in law put cabinets out there so we have tons of storage.

So for Christmas I have decided to not do Christmas at our house, but instead do a Christmas eve gathering, but Kirsten would not be able to come, so I changed it to December 18. Both my son and daughter are not happy about this, they like Christmas day celebration. I feel bad for them, but it's the way it is and it feels right for me to finally say it's getting to much for me. I think that's okay.

I talked to Steve about it and we had a nice long talk.....we decided to stick with my thoughts of passing the torch at least at Christmas or just do a Christmas eve gathering or as close to Christmas as we can get it. The kids will have to take it from here. For the Christmas gathering I will order Pizza and that way it will be so much easier on me.

I think on Christmas day Steve and I are going out to dinner with some friends of ours that are empty nesters also and bringing my mom. I have been cooking Thanksgiving and Christmas since I was 21 years old. Time for me to retire from doing both and only do one or the other for now on.

So what did you do with your leftover turkey? I made Turkey Tortilla soup it was really good.  It made a big pot so we get to eat it again tonight.

I used the recipe from this website.
   Remember how I have talked over and over again about how it's been a difficult year for me? I bet some of you wonder what I am talking about after all some of it has been financial yet we are still doing okay even with Steve's $30,000.00 loss to our income in the past 2 years. We are thankful to God for keeping us afloat but all my problems have not been financial, much of it has been way beyond money but more about something that happened this year and it's been really hard on me mentally. I have anguished and prayed over and over about it, yet it won't seem to go away. I do pray that God will resolve this soon I am feeling quite spent over it. Now many people would be ruined with a $30,000.00 loss to their income it is only by the grace of God that we have not. I just ran into a old friend this morning that told me he lost everything these past two years except family and beans! he told me many people would commit suicide but not him, he was happy eating beans. He always makes me laugh... it was my old neighbor.

This probably might be my last post this month so until December have a great week!




5 comments:

  1. Hi Kat! Glad your new turkey fryer worked out so well. One big advantage I could see is that the turkey takes up so much space in the oven that you hardly have room for all the side dishes. I have a GE Profile over the stove microwave that converts to a regular oven so I have to use that. Then I have my steamer and toaster oven going, too. I feel like a restaurant chef by the time it's over and have little time for photos, either. I made a point of taking some because I have FB friends from countries that don't have Thanksgiving and they wanted to see pictures. (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'eve Kat ~ We do Christmas Eve at our son's home & Christmas Day is our private quiet enjoyed time together, after brunch with our Joshua. Our tradition started at the onset of marriage because of a not so nice MIL & maternal G'ma on my side. They can all work out the holidays on their own ... we prefer to enjoy them without hassles.

    Have a beautiful week.
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. The soup looks really good! Thanks for sharing the website.
    Saying a prayer for you, dear friend. ♥
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup looks delicious! Hope everything is o.k. I am praying for you to find the peace you need. The holidays are about being together, that's what's important over everything.
    Have a great week my friend!
    Many blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your soup looks delicious.. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog. I pray that you will have a blessed Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails