Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day

Today is the day to Honor Veteran's that have served our great country. I would like to say Thank you to those I know and don't know that protect and defend so we are able to live the life's we do.

My dad now deceased is a Veteran. He served in Korea twice and Vietnam in the USAF Air Force. When he retired he retired a Sr Master Sergeant which I hear is hard to get.  He did many things during his service in the Air Force. For a time he was a recruiter and in Vietnam he was a historian of the war. He had many other jobs in the Air Force as well.

We traveled the world with my dad. When I was born in Dover Delaware that very year we lived four places. Of course Delaware and then onto Ohio and then the Bay area Northern CA and from there onto France for nearly four years. Traveling was fun, but hard to make friends only to lose them.  

Many times I was without my dad in my life it was very hard on me. Here is a little poem that expresses my feelings a bit.




I Miss You

I miss you in the morning,
I miss you late at night,
But I know what you are doing
Is good and just and right.

You’re always in my thoughts;
I hope that you can see
I’m proud of you for serving
Our country, God, and me.

And when you’re home again
I won’t miss you anymore,
But I’ll always admire your courage
For fighting in this war.

By Joanna Fuchs
I support the Wounded Warrior Project.





My Dad Norman Eyles Carter Jr.

My dad was born December 20, 1933 Chicago Illinois - Died August 2004 in San Antonio Texas

Here is a bit about my dad. My dad was born in the city of Chicago Illinois and he was a street kid, always in trouble and pretty tuff, he claims he had a ruff childhood and from what I hear it was. 
I have never lived in a big city, but from photos of Chicago even back when my dad was born the city is crowded. I personally freak out in the city, any big city.  
I feel very fortunate to live in rural areas most of my life or small cities. 
My grandfather served in the Army his dad, also Norman Eyles Carter Sr. and his father before him Henry Carter served in the Army and his father before him William H. Carter served in the civil war. All these Carter men lived and worked in Chicago Illinois.  

I have a photo of each one of them except William H. Carter that served in the civil war. He was the first Carter to arrive to Chicago from our family moving there from Athens New York. He married Susan Eyles born in England.

Here is a photo of my grandfather and great grandfather. As I stated I have no photo of my great great grandfather William H. Carter.

Norman Eyles Carter Sr. 

Henry Carter with wife Effie Myrtle Smith Carter

This is Henry Carter with wife Effie, she has the same name as my dog. LOL! not being rude, I did it because we have a dog named Edie and Effie sounded good with that name. I do not know who the little child is in the photo, but it is one of my great grandmother's granddaughters. 

It would be nice to come across a photo of my great great grandfather William H. Carter, perhaps I can eventually by searching the photo archives of the civil war. The Internet is great for this!

Did the name Norman Eyles Carter stop with my dad? nope it was passed one more time to my youngest brother Norman Eyles Carter III, he had no sons, but two daughters. 
Eyles is a middle name used for the Carter men, but was actually a last name that was passed all the way down into the 5th generation. That is amazing! it was my great great grandmothers last name and made for easy tracking of the family back to England. 

Have a great Veteran's Day!


5 comments:

  1. I'm so thankful for all of our veterans, and all the sacrifices they've made and continue to make. Your pictures are great! I posted a picture of my dad today too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kat~
    I couldn't find an e-mail address, so I'll answer your question here.
    Dad was in Vietnam in 1966-67. He and Mom were married in 1970, then I came along in '73. I think he was about 29 when I was born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat,
    What a beautiful tribute to your Dad.Love the poem.
    Remembering all those who have served and are serving.
    Love your photos too!
    Hope all well with you and have a great day!
    Love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kat! I loved the tribute to your father. I remember when he passed away, I was living in Texas at that time. Glad I found your blog =} I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kat,
    Great tribute to your Dad :) I see you in him from his picture. Hope all is well with you and your family.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails