Friday, July 2, 2010

Land that I love, Stand beside her, and guide her

Happy Independence Day!

I hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July! I love my country and I don't want it fundamentally changed. I love what my country stands for and I am proud to be an American. I love the country I grew up in and I pray that God will Bless America once again. God says in;

2 Chronicles 7:14 (King James Version)
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Yesterday, I heard the president make a speech and everything I had ever learned & read about what the Stature of Liberty symbolized and meant didn't match his words. So today I thought I would review the meaning of the Statue of Liberty and what she stands for and write about it.

What does the Statue of Liberty stand for? is it suppose to be used for political gain? is it suppose to be used to further divide this great nation? Is it a symbol of immigration? I think not!



The Statue of Liberty is a symbol of Liberty and Freedom and has nothing to do with Emma Lazarus.

Emma Lazarus had written a poem as a donation to the art of literary works conducted by the 'Art Loan Fund Exhibition in aid of the Barthold Pedestal fund for the statue of liberty' auction. The goal was to raise money for the pedestals construction. the poem contribution was obtained by persuasion from William Maxwell Evarts, at first Emma Lazarus refused, but Constance Cary Harrison convinced her that the statue would be of great significance to the immigrants sailing into the New York harbor. The poem was only read at the the exhibits opening, but was forgotten and it played no role in the opening of the statue in 1886. In 1901 Georgina Schuyler a friend of Emma Lazarus's began an effort to memorialize Emma Lazarus and her poem. In 1903 a plaque bearing the text of a poem was mounted on the inner wall of the pedestal of the statue of Liberty. The New Colossus is the title of the poem by Emma Lazarus. The poem was added 17 years later you cannot see it on the design of the outside of the Statue of Liberty. The poem by Emma Lazarus was written in 1883, Emma died of cancer in 1887 before the poem was added to the inner wall of the pedestal in 1903. 
  
Lady liberty is lighting the way to the rest of the world, The Statue of Liberty the symbol of Liberty and Freedom!

God Bless America
By Irving Berlin 1939

"While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer. "

God Bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home.

The Declaration of Independence
In Congress, July 4, 1776

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of the Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.  
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.  That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute a new Government, laying it's foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.....

Stand up for America's great history, keep it true.

Happy Freedom day America!

~Kat


Kat's Signature Tag

6 comments:

  1. Bless you. I am shocked, dismayed, sad and frightened when I see how our history is being and has been so distorted. If I had it to do over, I think I'd become a history teacher. Happy Independence Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat,
    A wonderful post! I love this country too, and what it stands for. And am pround to be an American! I sometimes wonder in what direction our country is going, but know God is in control. Keep praying!

    I hope you have a fabulous 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat! Loved your post. I do wish people would wake up & stand up for our country & our history. So many things are being distorted & truth is being changed for lies. It's very discouraing. Frightening too.

    Wow - Oregon is beautiful! I've never been, but have always heard that it's so pretty. Now I can see that is true through your photos. I want to visit there now.

    Hope you have a lovely 4th. Enjoy your family! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. I happened upon your blog and stayed to enjoy. God Bless America once again! There is still hope, as millions are praying!
    Theresa @ Cottage Violets

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy July 4th Kat! Have a wonderful time with your family.
    Can I ask you a question-do you have angel suncatchers available right now? I love angels!
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do not like the views of this President. He is so off base and out of touch. Great post Kat!!
    Happy Independence Day!!! Have a wonderful day!! Love you and miss you!! ((BIG HUGS))!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails