Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer Days Trip to the Redwoods California and Southern Oregon

Happy Summer to all my blog friends! It's been a long while since I have visited any blogs even though in my last post I said I would I never had the time.

I have been working on a project that is taking a long time, but it's worth it in the long run as all good things are. I cannot promise that I will make it to visit anyone until I finish my project but I do hope you're all doing well and please know I am truly thinking of each one of you.

Come along with me as I take you on a trip through Northern California and Southern Oregon. It's a beautiful trip! Here is a nice map of some of the places Steve and I have visited in Oregon and California the last year.

Steve and I took the pups and Morgan and we headed off to Oregon again as we did this past fall. We wanted to show Morgan the Chandelier Tree .

Steve and Kat
Redwoods, Liggett, CA, Chandelier Tree
I am so fascinated with this tree. 


Morgan
Here is Morgan with Steve taking the photo at the Trees of Mystery. She was in a Sky Trail. Click here to get a view of what this looks like. This Trees of Mystery is in the California Redwoods in Klamath California. I did not go on this because I am very afraid of heights, turns out both Steve and Morgan were scared too as you can see on Morgan's face.

Morgan at the state line Oregon and California
Here we make it to the Oregon and California state line off HWY 101, Morgan's first visit to Oregon.

We stayed at Whaleshead beach in Brookings Oregon for 3 nights, it was so relaxing, but the weather didn't cooperate with us at all. We had sand storms on the beach, and very very windy days.

Tunnel that goes under HWY 101 to Whaleshead Beach
Here is a photo of Steve, with our dog Effie and Morgan at the tunnels that go under the HWY 101 in Brookings at Whaleshead beach. I talked about this tunnel last year in my old blog. We brought flashlights, but the water was so cold and it was slippery, so we took the SUV to the beach instead. These tunnels are as wide as a four lane HWY. So that's pretty wide.


Tunnel that goes under HWY 101 to Whaleshead Beach
Taking a look inside the tunnel under the HWY 101, Brookings Oregon at Whaleshead Beach Oregon.

Morgan and Papa on Whaleshead Beach, Orego
Steve and Morgan on the beach after driving there instead of using the tunnels from the Cabins.

Whaleshead Beach Cabins
A view from the cabins at Whaleshead Beach Oregon. It's just so ugly! LOL! Not!

Coquille River Lighthouse 1896
Coquille River Lighthouse built in 1896, this lighthouse is located in Bandon Oregon on the Southern Coast. That's Morgan walking to the lighthouse. This is my favorite photo of the lighthouse I took.

Port Orford, Oregon
It was so windy at Port Orford in Oregon that I thought I would try to fly, just being silly of course with Morgan and Steve.

Beautiful tall purple flower with bell shape that grows wild in Oregon along the coas
Beautiful lavender colored bell shaped flowers growing wild along the coast so pretty. I have searched what they could be on google but found nothing.

DSC01910
Here is a cute photo I took of Morgan along the coast or Oregon.

Port Orford Lighthouse
Port Orford Lighthouse Oregon.

After we left the southern coast of Oregon we went inland to photograph old Covered Bridges. We photographed a total of 9 covered bridges. Here are a few below. Our whole trip was 1500 miles of travel and we were gone 5 days. My son says if you've seen one covered bridge you've seen them all. I never thought of it like that, I just love seeing them and photographing them. I am a pathological photographer. If I could fit more photos on this page you could see each one is distinctly different. Here is a link to all our photos we took on our trip.

Sandy Creek Bridge, Remote Oregon. Built 1921
Sandy Creek Covered Bridge in Remote Oregon, built in 1921.

Sandy Creek Bridge, Remote Oregon. Built 1921
Here is another photo of the Sandy Creek Bridge, I have a better one on my computer I forgot to upload it to the Internet though, so this will have to suffice for now.

Rochester Covered Bridge, Calapooya Creek, Oregon Built 1933
Rochester Covered Bridge in Calapooya Creek Oregon built in 1933.

Pass Creek Bridge, Drain Oregon
Pass Creek Bridge in Drain Oregon, built in the 1870's.

Morgan on the Pass Creek Bridge, Drain Oregon
I love this photo I took of Morgan on the Drain Bridge in Oregon, she looks so cute.

Contennial Bridge, Cottage Grove Oregon
This bridge was constructed in 1997 by volunteer labor to celebrate Cottage Grove's centennial. Materials came from two Lane County Bridges that had been demolished. It rests on abutments of the old Main street bridge, which stood until the late 1950's.

Still more to go................

Swinging Bridge
Swinging Bridge is the fourth built in Cottage Grove Oregon crosses the Coast Fork.


This is the swing bridge it's not a covered bridge but it was fun to be on and walk across, and Morgan was kind of scared, we had a good laugh because it really does swing from side to side while walking on it, and the sign says don't swing the bridge, but that's impossible. LOL!

Mosby Creek Bridge, Built 1920.
Mosby Creek Covered Bridge. Built 1920. Cottage Grove Oregon.

Stewart Covered Bridge. Built 1930
Stewart Covered Bridge was built in 1930 in Cottage Grove Oregon.

Dorena Covered Bridge
This is the Dorena Covered Bridge it was built in 1949, Cottage Grove Oregon.

Currin Covered Bridge Built in 1925
This is the Currin Covered Bridge built in 1925 Cottage Grover Oregon.

Grave Creek Covered Bridge Built in 1920
Grave Creek Covered Bridge built in 1920 in Sunny Valley Oregon.

We passed many bridges covered and not covered and the trip was fun. Next year if we can though we will be going to South Dakota.
Oregon is a lovely state and I am quite fascinated with it and someday I hope to travel up to Washington and then into Canada.

I will leave you with my newest creation a crystal pineapple. Made with Swarovski Crystals. Find them at www.krystalkats.com pineapple the symbol of hospitality from days gone by. This of course is another of my fascinations......I also leave you with a yummy Pineapple Crisp Recipe at the end of this post.

Hospitality Pineapple Suncatcher

Pineapple Graphic
Here is a delicious recipe one of my favorites. Enjoy!

Pineapple Brown Sugar Crisp
Nothing brightens a winter day like a tropical fruit crisp still warm from the oven. Choose a fragrant pineapple with fresh green leaves.

1 Large Pineapple (About 4 LBS) peeled, quartered, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks (about 6 cups).
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon quick cooking tapioca
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar or dark that's what I use
1 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter or margarine cut into small pieces ( I use butter)

Heat oven to 375 F. Put pineapple in a deep 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and the tapioca toss to mix.
In a medium size bowl mix flour and brown sugar until well blended. Add butter and cut in with pastry blender. Add butter
or rub with fingers until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over pineapple. Bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly and top is brown and crisp.
Cool on wire wrack. Makes 8 servings.














Until next time have a Happy 4th of July!
Outdoor Wednesday Hosted by Susan http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/2010/06/62-outdoor-wednesday-73.html

Kat's Signature Tag

13 comments:

  1. Hi, Kat...Oh what beautiful pictures of your trip. What nice memories for Morgan and for you. The recipe looks yummy!! Hope you have a great 4th of July too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat!! Your trip looks like it was wonderful. Josh is really into history. He would have loved all of those things you went to see. I showed him the pictures. Have a nice day sweetie!! What project are you working on? Hee, hee.
    Oh, I love pineapples. That is an adorable crystal!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous pictures of your trip Kat! It looks like you all had a blast! It looks so beautiful there. Oregon is high on my list of places to visit.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat, I love your new site!!! You are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kat,
    Thank you for your visit and comment. I'm glad that you are doing well. Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos of your trip. Oregon is so beautiful! I especially love the photos of the covered bridges.

    Have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kat! Looks like you all had a wonderful time on your trip! I love all the covered bridges. Definitely a place I would like to visit someday! Your crystal pineapple is so pretty! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that a widget over to your left "Great Blogs"? The one that shows when people have updated their blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kat
    What a great post, loved the photos and hearing about your trip. :-)
    Oh dear..that recipe sounds delicious!
    Have a great evening.
    ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kat,
    Your trip looks great. I love all the pictures! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Kat, Looks like you had a great time enjoying the beautiful country side out there. It all looks so green. Thanks for stopping by. Have a good week....Julian

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kat, what a wonderful trip, the covered bridges are so pretty. I have heard that the Oregon shore is beautiful. The photos are wonderful & you seem to have had a fantastic time. It was nice to have Morgan with you both. It's great to read you again, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kat,
    Enjoyed your beautiful photos! So pretty!!Glad that you had a lovely time.
    I received your e-mail with your latest suncatchers! So pretty!
    Have a great day.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Kat,
    Happy 4th of July! Have a wonderful sound and safe Holiday weekend :)
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails