Friday, February 19, 2010

What's the Difference Between a Lesser GoldFinch and the American GoldFinch?

When we bought the storage cabinet for my craftroom, it was in a box in the garage and it was way over 100 lbs for some reason I decided to move it and it fell and I fell with it strait back onto the cement in the garage hitting my back and butt. My back was very sore and I was on a heating pad for many many nights. It was hard to sit for long or at the computer. I did not hurt my tailbone this time as I have in the past. I always seem to fall strait back for some reason. But my back feels out of whack now. I also have very sore neck and shoulders..........

I don't remember if I got to visit many of you last week after my posting or not, I had to get off the computer after just visitng a few friends and typing my post.

Then later in the week I came online to update this blog a bit and thought my back was feeling better. So I am up to making visits and posts again. I can sit here once again. Yay!

I have been photographing these birds and have some wonderful photos of what I believe to be the Lesser Goldfinch after much reading. But I was so confused between the Lesser Goldfinch and the American Goldfinch that my head was going crazy and hurt! LOL! then I learned the birds have distinctive features and my head didn't hurt anymore.

Here is a full size photo of the Lesser Goldfinch. Click on the photo to get a close up view.
Now click this link to view the American GoldFinch. Do you see the distinctive difference between the two birds?

I have also taken photographs of the American GoldFinch but they have not turned out as well as the photographs I have taken of the Lesser GoldFinch. The easiest way to tell the two apart is the GoldFinch has a colorful orange beak and is a larger bird, the size of the American GoldFinch is 5" approximately. The Lesser GoldFinch is smaller about 3 1/2 to 4 1/2". I love these birds because they are so tiny and cute. They sing so sweetly too. The color of beak of the Lesser GoldFinch is a grey one.
Also they wear their black caps differently as well. The American GoldFinch tips his cap at an angle where as the Lesser GoldFinch pulls his halfway down over his eyes.
Also the back of a Lesser GoldFinch is olive tan where as the GoldFinch has gorgeous yellow worn both above and below. And the smaller Lesser GoldFinch yellow belly is very pronounced compared to his dark backside.
Here is a article to get to know your finches.
Here is another great website to check out All About Birds.

Another bird I have been trying to capture a better photo of is the Dark-eyed junco. I'm afraid this is not a good photo these birds are very skittish it seems and I had to zoom a long way and the photo didn't turn out that great. I need a better zoom lens on my camera even though it's a pretty great one, I can see for capturing bird photos a better lens would be wonderful. It's on the I want list!


Another bird I have been photographing is the White Crowned Sparrow. Again not the greatest photo, but it's a start.

I zoomed in an cropped the photo so it's rather small.

I have been spending a lot of time birding this year. It's so fun. I have always loved birds, but never learned their names or about them. So interesting. I love learning new things and this year I guess it will be all about birds. I have another photo of a bird, but I have not identified it yet. Well I did but forgot to right it down. I am now keeping track of what kind of birds I find in my yard this year.

Here is a complete list of birds from my area of California.

Here is a dozen common birds in Sacramento. Though I don't live in Sacramento I read this from the Sacramento Bee which is the major newspaper of our area.

1.House Finch
2.Mourning dove
3.Lesser goldfinch
4.American goldfinch
5.House sparrow
6.Western Scrub jay
7.Anna's hummingbird I seen this one yesterday, so pretty!
8.American Robin
9.Dark-eyed Junco the one I photographed is a (Oregon Junco)
10.Bushtit
11.Golden-crowned sparrow
12. Yellow-rumped warbler 

I have put a link to each bird I think? You know what's great about this site you get lots of information and sound and video too!

The biggest week for American birding is May 6 through the 16th. Click here to read more about it. 


Spring is on the way!
Here is a photo I took the day before yesterday which was so gorgeous outside that day like a spring day of yellow daffodil in my backyard.
Have a great weekend and Happy Friday! ~Kat

10 comments:

  1. G'day Kat ~ I love the finches & a daffodil already, you lucky gal. We are still buried under the 54" from the 2 blizzards of a week ago ... & more coming in this weekend & then Mon/Tue ... it is gorgeous & I am LOVING it all!

    Kat, that story I posted today was not my write, at the bottom it explains Michael Gartner, Pulitzer prize writer wrote this of his family. I could never write anything nice of my dad except that I was blessed to be born to my Mother. TY for your sweet comments, I so enjoyed your visit.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat! Love your bird photos and the yellow daffodil is gorgeous! I'm so ready for spring! Have a great weekend! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat,
    So sorry to hear that you hurt your back. I hope it is soon feeling better. Thank you for all the information about birds. Your bird photos are so pretty.

    Thank you for your sweet comments, and for your prayers for my family. I will keep you in my prayers for quick recovery for your back. God bless...take it easy this weekend. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The daffodil is lovely! Spring can't get here fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear Kat,
    It's somewhat better!
    I was able to view the sweet goldfinch that is adorable and then come back with some ease.
    It's so pretty in here. I don't know what my computer's problem is. I like your header, the little victorian girl kind of looks like Morgan if she had darker hair, don't you think?
    Have a wonderful and beautiful week my friend {{{{huggggs}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kat,
    I hope your back is feeling better? We use to have a bird that flew into my Mom's window at work on Hollywood blvd and she brought him home and we put him in a cage and called him Mr.Finch. We had him for years. My Mom I guess knew he was a finch bird. I was really young and did not know anything about birds. Hope you had a good weekend.
    Hugs, Dru

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kat! Goldfinches are my favorite backyard birds. I used to have a special upsidedown goldfinch feeder. They are the only finches that can invert to feed so it would just be covered with goldfinches. I feed them nyjer seed (also called thistle) but it's so expensive. I wrote about it a while back- they call it the black gold of seed. Hope you have a great week ahead! (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kat,
    Oh my goodness! I am so glad you are doing better since you hurt yourself. It sounds like a heck of a nasty fall. I know what it is like to fall on cement. There is just no give to cement.
    I love you bird photos. I find it relaxing to bird watch. I never get good shots of birds. But yours are excellent.
    I love the pic of Morgan and her scrapbook. She did a wonderful job on the cover. She is talented just like you in doing arts and crafts.
    I hope you continue to feel better after that nasty incident with the cement floor.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Hugs,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kat,
    Oh my goodness! I am so glad you are doing better since you hurt yourself. It sounds like a heck of a nasty fall. I know what it is like to fall on cement. There is just no give to cement.
    I love you bird photos. I find it relaxing to bird watch. I never get good shots of birds. But yours are excellent.
    I love the pic of Morgan and her scrapbook. She did a wonderful job on the cover. She is talented just like you in doing arts and crafts.
    I hope you continue to feel better after that nasty incident with the cement floor.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Hugs,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails