Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Legend of St. Valentine



The story of Valentine's Day begins in the third century with an oppressive Roman emperor and a humble Christian martyr. The emperor was Claudius II. The Christian was Valentinus.
Claudius had ordered all Romans to worship twelve gods and he had made it a crime punishable by death to associate the Christians. But Valentinus was dedicated to the ideals of Christ, and not even the threat of death could keep him from practicing his beliefs. He was arrested and imprisoned.
During the last week of Valentnus' life a remarkable thing happened. Seeing that he was a man of learning, the jailer asked whether his daughter Julia, might be brought to Valntinus for lessons. She had been blind since birth.
Julia was a pretty young girl with a quick mind. Valentinus read stories of Rome's history to her. He described the world of nature to her. He taught her arithmetic and told her about God. She saw the world through his eyes, trusted in his wisdom and found comfort in his quite strength.
"Valentinus, does God really hear our prayers?" Julia asked one day.
"Do you know what I pray for every morning and every night? I pray that I might see. I want so much to see everything you've told me about!"
"God does what is best for us if we will only believe in Him," Valentnus said.
"Oh, Valentinus, I do believe," Julia said intensely. "I do."
She knelt and grasped his hand. then they prayed together.
Suddenly there was a brilliant light in the prison cell. radiant, Julia cried, "Valentinus, I can see! I can see!"
"Praise be to God!" Valentinus exclaimed. On the eve of his death, Valentinus wrote a last note to Julia, urging her to stay close to God, and he signed it "From your Valentine".
His sentence was carried out the next day, February 14, 270 A.D, near a gate that was later named Porta Valentini in his memory. He was buriedat what is now the church of Praxedes in Rome.
It is said that Julia herself planted a pink-blossomed almond tree near his grave. Today, the almond tree remains a symbol of abiding love and friendship. On each February 14, St. Valentine's Day, messages of affection, love and devotion are exchanged around the world.

I found this on a old greeting card I had received a long time ago. I loved reading the story of Valentine's Day and I still love reading it today.


Did you see my last post? if not check out my great photos I took of the Lesser Gold Finch and my new craft room photos.

This weekend I went to get Morgan and brought up to visit me. I gave her a scrapbook album and some papers and elements and let her decorate a scrapbook using photos I had taken of her and her friends that I had developed at Target. Morgan had a lot of fun decorating the album and she made some cute bookmarks as well for her friends.

Here is some photos of Morgan and her album.



The front of Morgan's Album, it turned out darling don't you think?
I have more bird photos to share with you, but I will do that next time. It's a different bird this time. Happy Valentine's Day! ~Kat

5 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's Day Kat ♥
    I don't have much time, but I will be back to play catch up. You have some beautiful birdie pictures though ♥
    I'm having a hard time getting your blogger site to load :(
    Don't forget some of us have OLD computers, and don't have the fancy schmanzie computers. Are you using a JPEG for a background? That always slows me down, and the music too, and if there are too many posts on one page WAH I don't mean to complain, but "I'm just sayin" it's rough on my old girl and it's frustrating that I can't just whip in here like I can on most sites and enjoy them. We could have gotten a new computer but spent the money on treatments for Bentley and also just paid off our truck that was $5,000 *whew* but it's paid off and we have the title, much more important things than a new computer that I need so bad. So please bear with me ♥
    I have to take my bubbly bath now for my big date tonite *lol*
    Hope you have a beautiful and lovely day!
    {{{huggggs}}}
    p.s. it's taken me three tries to try and leave this comment, I could cry * that one thing where I have to leave the letters is a bear! Hope I don't lose this comment like the one I lost last night *cries*

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGarsh what a difference! You know I gotta see my girl Kat!
    Thank you honey pie ! your a doll, just like i always knew you were. I'm sorry i didn't mean to complain, but i had to. And it makes all the difference in the world !
    You could try to keep the beautiful music and then I will let you know if I can still get in as easy as I just did :) ♥♥♥♥♥♥
    Yes, I used to be 5'7", but think i have shrunk over the years to something *LOL* I will have to have me measured *hah* but not around the waist ! gasp I shrink in height but expand in horizontal

    luv ya sweetee !
    we just got home, that's why I'm commenting so late ♥♥♥

    ahhhhh perfect ! i can tell I'm not going to have to go around the merry go round to post a comment YAH*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. I learned something new!!
    Morgan is so pretty. I bet it was a fun day. I really have to try my hand at scrapbooking one time.
    Have a wonderful Monday .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kat! Enjoyed your Valentine's Day post. :) You would like that movie, I'm sure! This was one of Ashton's most likeable roles yet! He was probably in it more than anyone else. It has a big cast but many of the roles were practically cameos. I think I mentioned before that I like your craft room and your chair is really cute! Enjoy the week ahead! (((Hugz)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kat,
    Hope your doing well today.
    I'm still kind of having the problems with your site, but that's my problem *lol* hey I don't get it :O) but dont' worry about it.

    One time my header didn't center and i had to go right into the 'edit html' and adjust the header width to match my header i uploaded. it looks like your header is 865 so you could try making your header html

    #header-wrapper {
    width:875px;

    I added ten pixels to your header to account for the border, but you can play around with that 875px number, but nevermind because i just looked and i can't see that you have a border, so maybe add 865px html right under the /*Header -------------

    maybe that will center your header? hope that helps ! hey when you don't ask for my advice, i will give it *giggles* slap me *hah*

    Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day! give your Edie and Effie and pretty Tabitha kitty hugs from me!

    hugggs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails