Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Redwoods, California August 2009 Out Door Wednesday

In August of this year my husband and I decided to take a trip up further north from where we live in California which is north, but we wanted to go to the Redwoods and into Oregon. On this Our Door Wednesday, which is hosted by Susan at A Southern DayDreamer, I will show the photos we took in the Redwoods.

These huge trees may reach over 350 feet in height, a scale that is difficult to comprehend until it is seen first hand. It is also very very difficult to convey the height of the redwood trees in photographs.


Chandelier tree
Here is the Chandelier Tree we wanted to drive through.

Steve going through the Chandelier Tree
Here is my husband going through the tree and waving, little bit scraping on the mirrors though on our SUV.

Chandelier Tree
Here is me beside the tree, I look so small!

The Redwoods CA
Here is a burl on the Redwood tree. What's a burl you ask?

I found this page to explain
"The glossary description for burl from the U.S.D.A. Forest Product Laboratory’s Wood Handbook, is a “hard, woody outgrowth on a tree, more or less rounded in form, usually resulting from the entwined growth of a cluster of adventitious buds.”

Me on a walk through the woods
Now this is a huge trunk!

Steve The Redwoods CA
My husband found a cute little house tree to go in, with him bringing our dogs, you see one in the photo, that's Effie, Edie is in the tree already.

Drive Through Redwood Tree
Here is another tree drive though, we didn't go through this one!

Thanks for Stopping By and Happy Out Door Wednesday! ~Kat

17 comments:

  1. Lucky you! It looks like you had fun driving through the Chandelier Tree.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I can't get over the size of these trees. This looks like a lot of fun, I especially love the little house in the tree. I wonder if anyone gets stuck driving through the Chandelier Tree? Have a great week. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't they amazing? I love the redwoods!!

    Mine today is the Annual Jazz Festival in town. Come by if you can. CLICK HERE

    Have a glorious Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks for the tour. I hope to get there some day. I am amazed by those grand trees. Talk about tree houses!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the redwoods. They are truly amazing. You took wonderful pictures. It looks like your SUV barely made it through that tree. Blessings,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your pictures of the redwoods. They have always fascinated me--I have never seen them in person. The little house tree is so cute! By the way, I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Have a great day, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're pictures are spectacular. We saw the trees about five years ago and they are awesome. Have a great week and enjoy Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful outdoor snapshots. Thanks for sharing.
    "My Post Here"

    ReplyDelete
  9. No matter how many times I visit or see those trees in photos they always amaze me to think about how many generations have come and will come to stand next to them. Mother Nature is incredible!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos...I've never seen these trees but it is on my list...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great pictures! The size of the trees is amazing! It looks like you had a lot of fun! I especially love the cute little tree house.

    Thank you for the tour!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it wild that trees could get that big. We have a large one in one of our biggest parks and they are spending a fortune to prop it up because it is rotting and falling over. Lots of controversy over that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow how amazing those trees are. Beautiful. I love all your pictures. Thank you for visiting.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  14. glorious images! I've been to Redwood National Forest, what an amazing sight to see! These trees are treasures in every sense of the word! Oh now I must go find photos of my trip to Redwood!

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kat,
    Great pix of the redwoods, we visited there a few years back, driving an RV for the first time, what a great time we had.
    Glad you enjoyed our walk on the beach together.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Kat,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comments. I don't blame you, though, for not wanting to move back to PA! I visited California when my daughter and sil lived in San Diego and I just loved it!
    Love the pictures of the Redwoods - now there is someplace I'd like to see!

    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember driving through that(?) tree when I was about 16 yrs old. It was memorable...as were those magnificent trees. Thank you for sharing your photographs and bringing back so many wonderful memories...
    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails