Sunday, October 4, 2009

My First Blogger Post



My first blogger post, well in many years. I did have a blogger a very long time ago. I thought I would come on over to blogger and play some of the fun games and find some blogger friends.

My first post is much to do about nothing. I have had a hard time finding Libby's pumpkin this year, not the pie mix kind, but the real pumpkin. We have two grocery stores in the small town I live in, in Northern California, and the shelfs were completely empty of canned pumpkin. I inquired about it and the store manager said they only can it once a year and there was some shortage, but he didn't know why.

I need it to feed to my two dogs right now, Edie pronounced E-dee my pure bred Chihuahua, and our half Yorkie and half Chihuahua Effie. So I inquired within my family to be on the look out and it appears my mom scored me a few cans.

Pumpkin is also a super food and so we eat it quite often around here lately, that or sweet potatoes.
I've been making pumpkin bread with walnuts, pumpkin bread with blueberries, pumpkin pie. I never get sick of pumpkin.

Here is recipe I thought to share with you today.

Alabama Spoon Bread With Pumpkin & Chives

This baked puddinglike side dish made with cornmeal is a cross between corn bread and a soufflÈ. It's usually soft enough to eat with a spoon.

Yields: 8 accompaniment servings
Work Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 to 25 minutes

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin-pie mix)
4 large eggs, separated
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
4 tablespoons margarine or butter (1/2 stick)
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease shallow 2 1/2-quart ceramic baking dish. In medium bowl, with fork or wire whisk, mix buttermilk, pumpkin, egg yolks, and 2 tablespoons chopped chives.

2. In 4-quart saucepan, heat margarine or butter and 1 1/2 cups water to boiling over high heat. Remove saucepan from heat. In small bowl, with wire whisk, mix cornmeal, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk cornmeal mixture into hot liquid in saucepan until blended. Then whisk in pumpkin mixture.

3. In small bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites just until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites, one-third at a time, into cornmeal mixture until blended. Spoon batter into baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon chives.

4. Place baking dish in roasting pan on oven rack. Pour boiling water into roasting pan until it reaches halfway up side of baking dish. Bake spoon bread 50 to 55 minutes until lightly browned and puffed and knife inserted 2 inches from center comes out clean.

Each serving: About 220 calories, 7 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 9 g total fat (2 g saturated), 108 mg cholesterol, 515 mg sodium.

BUSY COOK'S TIP: Although this is not a do-ahead dish, you can ease the last-minute mixing by, in advance, combining the wet ingredients as in step 1 (cover and refrigerate); then whisk together the dry ingredients as in step 2, and set aside covered.
I personally have not tried that yet, but will this week.

I love crafts and just finished cross stitching my Meowy Thyme Kitty.
Finished Meowy Thyme Kitty
It turned out so cute, if I do say so myself. You can make different banners for it for different season's. The one I have on the kitty right now is July & August. The pattern was designed by Sandra Sullivan of Homespun Elegance.

Friday my husband Steve and I went for a little lunch at the "Olive Garden". I had Ravioli, he had some all you can eat sausage and pasta dish. He did not eat all you can eat, instead we asked for more salad. They make good salad there. I do not care for Itilian food, but Steve likes it. I will eat Ravioli and Fettuccine.

On our way home I stopped at JCPenney and bought a bowl on a pedestal in that gold from my moms era. I put some gourds in it with tiger stripped pumpkins and mini pumpkins. I think it's so pretty! I got it on sale and then 15% off. It should look good in my house throughout the year.

Here it is.
Fall Bowl of Gourds
Have a great day!

4 comments:

Thank you for your comments and stopping by my blog.... it was so sweet of you to visit with me today.

Related Posts with Thumbnails